Tuesday, February 15, 2011

EUR/JPY option trade - strangle 6 months.


Time to time, when I feel there is a little more volatility in the market; I enter into some quite simple option trades. The trades are not too fancy, and are usually plain vanilla options or strangles.

I entered into one such trade today, which is on a long-term scale. I decided to sell a EUR/JPY strangle option for 6 months at the levels of 117 and 106.

Here’s my reasoning:
If you look at the EUR/JPY weekly chart, you’ll notice that the cross has been ranging for the past 6 months, between 115.46 and 105.31. Therefore, I see the 117 and 106 range as a fairly safe range to play for the next 6 months.

But since it is a long-term view, I will have to keep a close watch on this option, and possibly play the range through spot as well.

I priced in the option, and received a premium of 3.4%. My breakeven levels would therefore be approximately at 121 on the top and 102.40 on the low, which I feel are safe levels to play for the risk I’m taking.















Trade
Sell Eur call/ USD put at 117. Sell Eur put/ USD call at 106. Premium 3.4% of Euro face.

No comments:

Post a Comment